Homemade chicken broth isn't just a flavorful & healthier addition to your food creations; it also offers a range of health benefits. Here's 8 reasons why this liquid gold is worth its weight:
Homemade chicken broth is packed with essential nutrients. It's a good source of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, including calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and protein.
It's also rich in collagen, which is beneficial for skin, hair, and joint health.
Chicken broth can be incredibly soothing for the digestive system. It's easy to digest and can help with issues like indigestion and an upset stomach.
The warmth and nutrients in chicken broth make it a popular choice when feeling under the weather. It can help hydrate and provide essential nutrients to support your immune system.
The amino acids in the broth, such as cysteine, can help thin mucus and alleviate congestion.
There's a reason chicken soup is considered comfort food. The warmth and aroma of homemade chicken broth can provide a sense of comfort and relaxation.
By making your own chicken broth, you have control over the ingredients and can enjoy these health benefits to the fullest.
It's a fantastic base for a wide range of recipes, from classic chicken noodle soup to risottos and sauces.
For this homemade chicken broth recipe, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 2 onions, quartered
- 16 cloves of garlic (you can leave the skin on or remove it)
- 3.5 tablespoons of kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons of peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 stalks of celery
- 4 carrots, peeled
- A bunch of fresh parsley
- 3.5 pounds of whole chicken with giblets removed or bone-in, skin-on chicken (you can use a mix)
- 16-18 cups of water
1. Place all the ingredients in a large pot. You can either add the spices and herbs directly to the pot or use a soup bag to hold them, making it easier to remove later.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
3. As it begins to boil, use a mesh or slotted spoon to skim away any fat that rises to the top. This helps to clarify the broth.
4. Once you've removed the excess fat, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot about 3/4 of the way. Allow it to simmer for approximately 3 hours.
5. After simmering, remove the vegetables, spices, and chicken using a fine mesh spoon or a slotted spoon. This ensures that you're left with a clear, flavorful broth.
- Taste the broth as it simmers and adjust the seasoning if needed by adding more salt and pepper to your taste.
For a step-by-step visual guide, check out our video tutorial below: Homemade Chicken Broth.
If you enjoyed this recipe, don't forget to follow us on Tik Tok @rosabrinas_cucina for more creations or explore our website for other comforting recipes to add to your collection.